Monday, May 21, 2012

The countdown is on!  My little ones have 4 days of school left (2 being half days).  I can't tell you how much this EXCITES me!  We are in for such an adventure.  For those of you who don't know, we will be Homeschooling next year, yes all 3 little ones, Jo, Buckwheat and Peanut she techincally isn't old enough but that doesn't matter at HOME! :)  So why am I doing this crazy thing you ask?  Well, number one reason ~ it's what I feel is BEST for me and my crew!  I think that is the most important thing, you have to do things for you and not because the whole world does or doesn't.  We do a lot of crazy things, like not immunize our kids for very valid reasons. I encapsulate my own herbs (freaky I know ha ha!)  I just made my own dish and laundry detergent (will follow up with that post at a later date!) I recently learned how to make yogurt.  I want to make my own bread, I know how but Hank won't use it to eat sandwiches with because it falls apart so I need a SANDWICH bread.  I am thrilled to keep my kids home with me all day every day, because I will be able to control them  able to spend more quality time with them ;)!  I really can't wait to watch them learn and grow, and not have to wonder what they learned at school, because Buckwheat can't ever remember!  Silly boy!  I am odd, quirky and yes I think I Am THE NORMAL ONE.  To each his own, we are all unique and we all do what we do for valid reasons.  So as I embark down this new "Creek" of life I invite you to follow us, see what we are up to, comment on our learning and let me know why you do what you do!  I love to learn what works for others, and incorporate different aspects in my own life.  You never know if it will work for you until you try it!

As for homeschooling.... I am a bit overwhelmed there are so many choices in curriculum.  I have debated about Washington Online School they use K12 curriculum and others and seem to have a really great program.  I also have put my name on the waiting list at Harmony Ed but can't decide if I want to commit to going to an actual school once a week.  They have incredible classes offered, but do I want to do that or stay home.  Afterall wasn't that why I decided to homeschool, so we didn't have to chase, so we could enjoy life and be together.  Five in a Row curriculum really appeals to me, I love basing all learning on one book and digging DEEP!  These are just the tip of the iceberg, there is so much to go off of, I could go on for days.  But I'll spare you the agony.  Point being this journey is going to be AMAZING, I know it will be hard, I know I will want to quit and I will threaten my kids that they will be put back in school if they don't OBEY he he he he!  Or as my mother use to say to my youngest brother "You can get on that Cheese Wagon tomorrow morning!"  LOL!  No I am not dissing public school, if that's your thing that's GREAT!  That's the beauty of choice!  My dillema's may be answered as I attend the homeschool convention in our area in a few weeks....or perhaps my dillema's haven't begun because I don't know all the OTHER stuff they are going to unfold upon me.  Oh good gravy, this may be bad!  Either way our homeschool adventures are about to begin, and I am sure we will have a few trials by error but that's the joy in the journey.  We will see what works for us, what makes our hearts happy!  So make your heart happy~ do what you do because that's who you are!  And stay tuned for MUCH more HOMESCHOOLING up CHAOS CREEK!


"I believe it would be much better for everyone if children were given their start in education at home.

No one understands a child as well as his mother, and children are so different that they need individual training and study. A teacher with a room full of pupils cannot do this.

At home, too, they are in their mother's care. She can keep them from learning immoral things from other children."

- Quote / Words by Laura Ingalls Wilder

No comments:

Post a Comment