Sunday, December 29, 2013

Out with the old...

As 2013 comes to a close I reflect on the things I had set out to do.  My "word" for 2013 was Strengthen. Although I did not accomplish all that I thought I would, but I did strengthen many things this year.  I set out to strengthen all areas of my life, my family, my mind, my body, my spirit....I like this 'one word' goal because it is easy to remember and I often found myself thinking about my "word".  I don't know that I accomplished all that I needed to or all that I would've liked, but I did make a great effort to Strengthen the things I could.  My family was strengthened by me spending time with them, teaching them and doing things for and with them, we were also blessed (or maybe it was procrastination HA!) with me taking a little break in school while I got ready for my big test this fall/winter.  It was LOVELY to have a break but it was even sweeter to pass the test (with the exception of the writing part...still waiting on the results)! It is so true that you don't know what you have until it's gone.  My brain NEEDED a break! I felt my sanity starting to wobble and so the break was welcomed and I read a lot more (things that didn't pertain to school....there is life out there!:))  I was able to focus on things I needed to and was able to get a few little projects done, which is good for the mind and body. But as I dreaded the return of school and all that it entails ....I realized how much I miss it!  I miss studying and writing papers (SICK.... I KNOW!) I miss the interaction I have with classmates and the instructors.  I also feel that when I am pressed for time I generally make the most of the time I have.  School makes me prioritize more and I seem to function better.  2013 was EPIC just as I thought it would be!  We farmed more than we ever have before, we had a baby horse and he's healthy and happy, all three little ones are schooling and loving it, we are experimenting with our "style" of schooling and we love learning how we learn and what we want to learn.  I'd say 2013 was a success!
hotphotography:  Out with the old
As we prepare for 2014 which brings a new start, new goals and new plans....we begin with what we know will happen: I will start school again the first week of January, Hank will have more land to farm, we will continue to homeschool.  Those things we know are certain!  Recently I read a blog post from somewhere in blog land that had a new year planning retreat......what a great idea!! This retreat includes YOU yourself, a quiet place where you will not be interrupted, something good to munch on and something warm to drink, a pad of paper and pen.  I have a goal to DO this planning session, whether it be 2 days after the new year or today!  I will make this happen! I think planning is such a great thing, goals are so great and they help us to realize what is most important to us.  I want to make plans for being productive, make plans for my new "word" (stay tuned....it's a good one), make plans for homeschooling, make plans for serving, make plans for creating and make goals for where I want to be next year.  I use to look as goals as something I didn't want to make because at the end of the year... when I had forgotten my goals.....I would just feel discouraged but if I have a plan and a few good motto's/words that I know I want to work on, they will constantly remind me of what I want and what I am working towards.  Goals aren't suppose to be depressing they are suppose to help us find focus and lead us in the direction we want to go.  Whether we get there in 12 months or in 12 years doesn't matter, it only matters that we keep making progress!

Thinking about this blog, I sometimes write consistently......... then at times I hardly write at all.  I became discouraged about that and thought maybe it was best if I just didn't blog. But then I went back to the reasons I started blogging in the first place:  I love to share my ideas, I love to write, I love to express myself through written word and tend to do so a lot better than I do verbally ;).  So the Blog stays!  I mainly write for my own purpose anyway and if I happen to inspire one or two of you out there along the way that will just be icing on the cake.

So here's to Planning Retreats and new things to come! I hope your 2013 was as EPIC as mine! A big thanks to all those who read my blog once, or always....I'm happy you do!


No comments:

Post a Comment