Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Homeschool Mama's

A View from our neck of the woods!
This past week I had the privilege of attending a home school mom's (parent's) get together at a friend's home.  I met a few of these gals last year at a home school retreat that I was invited to (why I didn't blog about that is beyond me!).  There seem's to be a home school heat wave going on, I don't know if it has to do with the new common core standards coming into play, which I know a lot of people are really against. I personally don't know THAT much about it to give my two cents, but from what I have heard it's not all great!  There were probably 15 people there.  A few of them veterans in homeschooling, some were newer like myself, some were new this year and others were still waffling the idea around.  The part that I loved most about the whole thing was that no one judged, we all took a turn to tell who we were, what our reasons for homeschooling were, and what curriculum we were using or planning to use to home school.  Homeschooling is so unique and it is meant to tailor your children's education for just that, YOUR CHILDREN!  Some people pour over the best curriculum's out there and spend good money for great curriculum, some make their own up, some use free stuff and only free stuff, some use a purchased curriculum that is organized and spelled out and allows less planning on the parental part.  The point to all of this is, none of it is wrong, it's all right, it's all beautiful!  Each woman that was there that night was there with a purpose; to help her children become the best they can be.  It was fabulous to have so many like minded people in one room.  At times as a homeschooling mom you feel isolated because not everyone deals with the things you do as you teach on top of mother, lead, direct, cook, clean, work, study, etc. I know for me personally I sometimes question if what I am doing is worth it if it's really what I need to be doing. Is it truly what's best for our family?  Each time I get to my rope's end, each time I am ready to re-evaluate and make a change I get a little ray of sunshine, something that tells me YES! This IS SO RIGHT!  And............it's right for me, for us!  It might not be right for others but it is for  our family and it is for most of the women I had the privilege of meeting that night.  The feeling was warm, my mind and spirit were filled as stories were shared, ideas traded and paths crossed!  I am grateful for small and simple things, and the freedoms I have to make decisions for myself and my family!


                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment